THIS PRODUCT IS PROUDLY MADE IN INDIA
Quick 24 Hour Dispatch
Free Shipping for all orders above ₹499. Delivery in 5 to 7 business days
Priority fast shipping options available
The long melon is colloquially referred to as "Kakri." It is a member of the Cucurbitaceae family and is botanically known as Cucumis melo. It is indigenous to India. It produces fruits with a light green hue and smooth skin, and white flesh. It is usually eaten raw with salt and pepper as a salad. Since the fruit has a cooling effect, it is primarily consumed during the summer season. It is grown in a range of soil types, from sandy loam to thick soil with an excellent drainage system. 5.8-7.5 is an ideal pH range for crop cultivation.
Benefits/Uses of Long Melon
- It is often consumed to combat the heat and also acts as a detoxifier.
- It provides the body with a healthy dose of essential vitamins such as A, C, and B that help the body resist cancer-causing agents.
- Assists in weight loss
- Provides an ample supply of minerals that are beneficial to the skin, such as magnesium, potassium, and silicon, among others
- For people with diabetes, long melon is a preferred recommendation.
Specifications of Long Melon Seeds
Kakri, Long melon
Watering a week thrice in the evening.
15 to 40-degree Celsius.
Well-drained, soil temperature 65 deg
60-70 days, summer
No. of seeds
Planting and Care for Long Melon
Sowing White Long Melon Seeds
- Until sowing seeds, excavate the soil and amend it with organic fertilizer and manure in the proportions of 50% soil, 20% peat moss, or 30% vermicompost, and thoroughly mix the mixture properly in a grow bag.
- After completing the preceding stage, moisten the soil.
- Sprinkle seeds and a small amount of water over the seeds and cover with soil/wet newspaper/tissue.
- Continue testing the soil every two days and sprinkling water if the soil seems to be drying out.
- After about a week or ten days, seeds can begin to germinate.
- In the second week of germination, the first two leaves will appear. These are cotyledons or false leaves.
- At the end of the second week, the first leaves will appear above the cotyledons.
- From the second week on, seedlings will begin to develop into small plants.
Growing Long Melon
- When the plant reaches 2 inches, divide it into individual plants, taking care not to disturb the soil.
- When separating the plant from the soil, take care not to harm the roots.
- After removing seeds, replant them four to five inches apart.
- Water them after replanting.
- Within 20 days, provide organic manure vermicompost and fertilizer to the plants.
- Utilize fertilizer during the budding stage and reduce the irrigation period.
- Adhere to all of these measures to improve your plants' growth and fruiting potential.
Harvesting Long Melon
- Long melons are usually able to harvest 40-50 days after sowing.
- Long melon harvesting season can last up to three months.
- In the second month (40 to 50 days after sowing), the long melon climber will begin flowering. After 40-50 days of seed sowing, you can begin harvesting raw cucumber fruits. Harvesting will continue for the consecutive three months.
Precautions while growing Long Melon
Additionally, excessive watering or poor soil drainage may cause plants to wilt and die. The water saturates the soil, obstructing the roots' ability to absorb oxygen. The plant cannot live without access to oxygen and other gases present in the soil.
Long melon plants need direct sunlight. As a result, your raised bed should be constructed in a bright, sunny place. Maintain the long melon container in direct sunlight.
Techniques of irrigation: In the summer, water your potted long melon plant daily. Soak the soil around the plant in water. Utilize a watering can to ensure that the plants receive water through the shower and not a single flow. Additionally, you can provide irrigation for your raised beds by using a drip irrigation system.
Manuring: Before seeding, amend the soil with high-quality organic manure in a 2:1 ratio. Organic manure includes decomposed cow dung, farmyard manure, compost, and Vermicompost.
Hand pollination of flowers: Dust 'pollens' from male flowers on the 'stigma' of female flowers using a painting brush or cotton bud. It will increase overall long melon demand. This step is optional.
Common Problems affecting Long Melon Plants and Solutions
When your long melon climber reaches 45 days of age, apply one tablespoon of Pseudomonas Fluorescens Bio Fertilizer, Azospirillum Nitrogen Fixing Biofertilizer fertilizer per plant or incorporate a handful of Vermicompost into the soil around each plant.
Plant care: Always be on the lookout for early signs of insect/fungal/other infection. As soon as any signs of such diseases are noticed, administer effective medications like bio pest control. When plants are young, keep an eye out for Powdery Mildew.
No. of Long Melon Seeds - 50+
All grow bags from Seed 2 Plant have a 5 years replacement guarantee. Yes, you heard that right. We are 100% sure about the quality of our grow bags that we offer no questions asked 5 years replacement guarantee.
If one of our grow bags got damaged under normal use within a 5 years period, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and ship the damaged grow bag. We'll replace the grow bag and the shipping cost will be refunded too.
How are we sure that our grow bags will last 5 years?
- Our grow bags are made of thick 220 gsm HDPE material.
- All our grow bags are UV treated, which means even exposed to strong sun rays, will not damage the product.
- Our stitching is unmatched. We make sure that each grow bags undergoes strict QA process before being sent to you.
All orders placed will be shipped within 24 hours (except on Sundays). Orders placed before 12pm will be shipped the same day.
Shipping is free for all orders above ₹499.
Orders below ₹499 will incur a modest ₹69 shipping cost.
Products will be shipped via BlueDart, Delhivery or India Post and will be delivered within 5-7 business days.
Priority Shipping is available at an extra cost of ₹179.
COD is available PAN India for orders above ₹499 and only for selected non-perishable products. ₹100 extra COD charge will apply.
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.