THIS PRODUCT IS PROUDLY MADE IN INDIA
Same day dispatch for orders placed before 12pm.
Free Delivery in 5 to 7 business days, for orders over Rs. 1,000.00
Priority fast shipping options available
Onions are a cool-season crop that is relatively easy to grow due to their hardiness tinge. Onions are grown and used in the world. Onions come in a variety of sizes, shapes, colors, and flavors. Red, yellow, and white onions are the most famous varieties. These vegetables have various flavors, from sweet and juicy to sharp, spicy, and savory; often, it depends on how they are grown and consumed.
They are usually served fried, either as a vegetable or as part of a prepared savoury meal, but they can also be eaten raw or used to make pickles or chutneys. Onion seed oil accounts for 38% of the oil and is responsible for its aromatic taste. The seeds are used in cooking as flavoring agents. To maximize the fragrance of the seeds, they must be toasted. When you cut an onion, some of the onion's cells break open. Following that, certain chemicals respond. When a chemical floats through the air and comes into contact with your skin, it stings.
Benefits/Uses of Onion
- Onions are high in vitamin C. As an antioxidant, this vitamin aids in preventing the development of free radicals, which have been linked to cancer.
- Quercetin, a compound found in onion skin, has been linked to a reduction in blood pressure.
- Onions contain thiosulfinates, which are natural blood thinners that help prevent heart attacks and strokes.
- Onions' digestive benefits are due to inulin, a form of fiber found in the vegetable. Inulin provides food for the beneficial bacteria that live in the intestines. Consuming this fiber helps the body maintain balanced bacteria levels.
- Onion consumption has been shown to aid in the treatment of joint pains.
- Additionally, onions have antibacterial properties.
- Onion and also have antibiotic properties that aid in wound healing.
- Onions contain selenium, a mineral that boosts the immune system.
- Onions are traditionally used to treat ear ailments.
- Onions' anti-inflammatory properties can also aid in the relief of respiratory ailments.
- Sulfur in onions helps maintain the health of the eye's lens.
Specifications of Onion seeds
Full sun and requires at least 13 to 16 hours of light daily during bulb formation
Needs a lot of water, but the soil should never get soggy
55° to 75°F
6.2 and 6.8
About eight days.
100 to 120 days after planting,
No. of seeds
Planting and Care for Onion
Sowing Onion Seeds
- Temperature is a factor in onion seed germination.
- Though germination usually takes 7-10 days, soil temperature affects this process.
- For example, if the soil temperature is colder, onion seeds can germinate more slowly – up to two weeks.
- On the other hand, warm soil temperatures will initiate onion seed germination in as little as four days.
- Drill three or four 1/2-inch deep drainage holes in the bottom of the grow bags and fill them with three inches of potting soil.
- Sprinkle the onion seeds evenly over the dirt, between 1/4′′ to 1/2′′ apart.
- Cover the seeds with a light sprinkle of potting soil and thoroughly water them in.
- After planting the seeds, place the grow bags in a covered, shady area of the terrace garden.
- When the temperatures and day length are just right, the onion seeds inside the grow bags will begin to sprout.
- At that point, you should begin monitoring the humidity level inside the grow bags and watering your seedlings as needed.
- Now, choose a sunny spot in your terrace garden.
- If your garden is shady, choose varieties with short day lengths to promote bulb growth.
- Onions thrive best in medium-rich, well-draining soil. To increase drainage, amend clay soil with organic matter (e.g., compost) or potting soil.
- Add a healthy, gentle, slow-release fertilizer to the soil, such as this organic all-purpose mix.
- Additionally, it is a good idea to inoculate the soil with mycorrhizae, either directly or by watering with a mycorrhizae solution following transplantation.
- Mycorrhizae are beneficial fungi that aid in the production and absorption of nutrients in all plants. However, onions are particularly reliant on root-mycorrhizal associations for the uptake of phosphorus required for the development.
- Due to the onions' shallow root systems, it is essential to keep them well-watered. Inconsistent irrigation results in smaller onion bulbs.
- Mulching the onions with a layer of mulch is an ideal way to keep the soil from drying out.
- Soggy soil or standing water significantly raises the likelihood of onions rotting.
- When onions exceed the size of a pencil or begin to shape bulbs, they are ready to harvest.
- Once the onion bulbs have formed, you can harvest them anytime you want to use one.
- When the main stalk becomes small, thin, and begins to flop over, the onion is mature and ready to harvest.
- Additionally, the greens will begin to turn yellow or brown, especially at the tips.
- Pull the plants up when the time is right, but leave them lying on top of the soil for a day or two to dry. Onions are prone to bruising, so harvest with care. Avoid puncturing the skin or flesh unintentionally – they may deteriorate during storage if harmed.
Precautions while growing onion
- Fertilize every few weeks with Azospirillum Nitrogen Fixing Biofertilizer to ensure large bulbs. When the onions have pushed the soil away, and the bulbing process has started, stop fertilizing them. Take care not to reintroduce soil forced away from the onions. The bulb must appear above the soil surface.
- Onion plants, in general, do not need daily watering when mulched. Each week, about an inch of water (including rainwater) is sufficient. Only if you require sweeter onions should you add additional water.
- Also, with less water, onions appear good. Water them regularly, including during drought conditions.
Common problems affecting onion plants and solutions
Thrips are tiny insects:
Take a dark-colored piece of paper to your garden to mark them. Now, strike it with the onion top.
If thrips are present on your onion plant, their tan-colored tiny bodies will be visible against the dark paper. A couple of mild insecticidal soap treatments may be sufficient to eliminate them. Additionally, you can stop them using bio pest control.
Maggots on Onions:
A fine mesh netting should be used to cover the entire onion crop emerging from the soil. Mound soil around the perimeter of the net to seal it. The onion maggot lays its eggs in large numbers at the base of onion plants. As a result, the netting will avoid this. As a solution, bio pest control for sucking pests can be used.
Keep mulch away from insects, as they enjoy rotting organic matter. As the season draws to a close, harvest your onions full.
No. of Onion Seeds - 200+
All grow bags from Seed 2 Plant have a 5 years replacement guarantee. Yes, you heard that right. We are 100% sure about the quality of our grow bags that we offer no questions asked 5 years replacement guarantee.
If one of our grow bags got damaged under normal use within a 5 years period, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and ship the damaged grow bag. We'll replace the grow bag and the shipping cost will be refunded too.
How are we sure that our grow bags will last 5 years?
- Our grow bags are made of thick 220 gsm HDPE material.
- All our grow bags are UV treated, which means even exposed to strong sun rays, will not damage the product.
- Our stitching is unmatched. We make sure that each grow bags undergoes strict QA process before being sent to you.
Updates on impact of COVID-19 on Shipping:
Since we work with limited staff and because of the lockdowns, shipping times are impacted. Our dispatch time now is 48-72 hours.
Couriers and postal services have also become unreliable and slow during these times. We do our best to get your order delivered to you in a timely manner. In case your order is stuck anywhere, please let us know. We'll contact the courier company or India Post and get the package delivered.
All orders placed will be shipped within 24 hours (except on Sundays). Orders placed before 12pm will be shipped the same day.
Shipping is free for orders above Rs.999 and Rs.69 for orders below that.
Products will be shipped via DTDC, reputed couriers or India Post and will be delivered within 5-7 business days.
COD is available PAN India. Rs.50 extra COD charge will apply.
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.