THIS PRODUCT IS PROUDLY MADE IN INDIA
Same day dispatch for orders placed before 12pm.
Free Delivery in 5 to 7 business days, for orders over Rs. 1,000.00.
Standard Delivery in 5 to 7 business days, for Rs. 69.00. for orders less than Rs.999.
COD available all over India. Rs. 50 extra for COD orders.
Sweet corn is a grass family cereal plant that produces an edible grain. Sweet corn is related to grain corn. Its composition is unique since it contains one or more genes that inhibit the conversion of carbohydrates to starch. It is harvested when its water content reaches approximately 70%. It is a good source of carbohydrates, fiber, and vitamins, particularly group B vitamins. Sweet corn combines unique varieties in which glucose does not rapidly convert to starch. There are recessive genes that control this peculiarity; for the livestock, the sweet corn crop must be separated from the maize crop to avoid unintended crosses.
Benefits/Uses of Sweet Corn
- It is an antioxidant powerhouse that aids in the prevention of the aging process.
- Regular corn oil massage improves the texture of your skin significantly.
- Corn oil stimulates blood circulation in the scalp, encouraging the growth of follicles and reducing hair loss.
- Corn is a good source of B12, iron, and folic acid.
- Consuming sweet corn regularly may help prevent anemia.
- Sweet corn is rich in folic acid, which is prescribed to pregnant women.
Specifications of Sweet Corn Seeds
sweetcorn, sugar corn, and pole corn
75% moisture content. With very sandy soil
60 to 100 days
No. of seeds
Planting and Care for Sweet Corn
Sowing Sweet Corn Seeds
- Corn is a warm-weather crop that will not survive frost. Though seeds can be directly sown outside in grow bags once the soil has warmed up.
- Sowing into grow bags in the safety of a greenhouse, hoop home, or cold frame is the safest method.
- In four-inch wide grow bags, sow eight to ten seeds half an inch long. You can use any potting mix, whether general-purpose or seed starting.
- Alternatively, sow into smaller grow bags, sowing two seeds per bag and extracting the seedling with the weakest root system.
- Continue to keep the soil moist as they grow. By the time you're ready to plant it outdoors, it should be about six inches (15cm) tall.
- As the recommended planting time approaches, harden off the plants by leaving them outdoors for progressively more extended periods over about a week.
Growing Sweet Corn
- Since sweet corn is open pollinated, rather than planting them in a long row, space them out in a block for the best results.
- If the corn is not adequately pollinated, it will continue to grow but will be devoid of many kernels on the cob.
- Remove your young plants from their grow bags and tease their roots apart very carefully.
- Retain as much soil as possible around the roots. Now, 45cm apart in both directions, plant your sweet corn.
- Dig a hole for each plant, feed the roots to the bottom of the hole, and re-incorporate the soil.
- Sprawling squashes pair beautifully with sweet corn.
- If the sweet corn grows upward, the squash will carpet the field and help suppress weeds.
Harvesting Sweet Corn
- The cobs will be ready to be harvested when the tassels at the end turn a dark brown color, which occurs approximately six weeks after they first appear.
- If you're in doubt about whether a cob is fit to ride, perform the fingernail test.
- Peel back the protective sheath and firmly sink a fingernail into a kernel. It is ready when it exudes a creamy liquid.
- If it is not quite there, the liquid will remain watery, and if there is no liquid, the cob will have expired.
- To harvest, twist and drag the cob free.
Precautions while Growing Sweet Corn
Remove any weeds that emerge inside your sweetcorn by hand and continue weeding as long as you can reach between the plants. Sweetcorn is a durable plant that does not need support. It will benefit from watering in arid weather, particularly in late summer as the silks appear and the cobs form.
Hoe or till the soil immediately under the surface. Remove weeds from just under the soil's surface with a hoe. Deep hoeing will sever the corn roots that are near the soil's surface.
Their primary care requirements are sufficient sunlight and a constant supply of water. By providing those, you would have met the majority of their needs. Feed them every couple of weeks and keep them weed-free, and you'll be on the verge of creating ideal conditions for a high-quality sweetcorn harvest.
Corn needs approximately 1 inch of water per week, more so when the stalks begin to tassel. Water deprivation during pollination results in-ears with a large number of missing kernels, so do not neglect to water your corn patch. Utilize a soaker hose or drip irrigation to apply water directly to the soil surface.
Sweet corn plants do not need pruning in the same way that other plants do; however, you can trim them if they appear to be growing too large for the space allotted to them.
During the growing season, sweet corn needs at least one inch of water per week. When the plants exceed about 12 inches in height, another evenly distributed fertilizer aids in crop production; weeds must be eradicated by shallow cultivation. The adventitious roots that anchor the stalk are located on top of and just below the soil surface.
Common Problems affecting Sweet Corn Plants and Solutions
During the growing season, aphids can attack corn stalks and can be removed by hosing with water. Corn earworms are another pest that feeds on sweet corn through the silk that grows from the ears. The worms make their way down the silk fibers to the corn kernels. Although the worms are an annoyance, they do not cause significant harm. A black fungus called corn smut, caused by Ustilago maytis, may grow. There are smut-resistant varieties available.
Sweetcorn's lower leaves sometimes turn yellow and then die. If the majority of the leaves appear to be green and stable, there is no problem. If the tops of the leaves begin to yellow, this is most likely due to a nitrogen deficiency. A dose of nitrogen-rich fertilizer, such as Phospho Bacteria Biofertilizer or Azospirillum Nitrogen Fixing Bio Fertilizer, should resolve the problem.
Aphids are tiny, soft-bodied insects found on the undersides of leaves. They are green or gray. Aphids excrete a sticky substance called honeydew; on honeydew, black sooty mold may develop. Aphids should be sprayed away with a burst of water; bio pest control should be used.
Corn flea beetles can pierce leaves with small holes and spread Stewart's wilt, a bacterial disease that clogs the vascular system of infected plants, causing them to wilt, become stunted, and eventually die. Beetles should be picked off; plant the garden to disrupt the insect life cycle. Biting pests should be sprayed with bio pest control.
Corn leaves and foliage are consumed by armyworms, corn earworms, various insects, and grasshoppers. Pick insects by hand and dispose of them or place them in soapy water. The loss of a small amount of leaf tissue does not affect yield. Stop armyworms by planting early corn varieties. Biopesticides may be used to combat sucking pests.
No. of Sweet Corn Seeds -12
All grow bags from Seed 2 Plant have a 5 years replacement guarantee. Yes, you heard that right. We are 100% sure about the quality of our grow bags that we offer no questions asked 5 years replacement guarantee.
If one of our grow bags got damaged under normal use within a 5 years period, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and ship the damaged grow bag. We'll replace the grow bag and the shipping cost will be refunded too.
How are we sure that our grow bags will last 5 years?
- Our grow bags are made of thick 220 gsm HDPE material.
- All our grow bags are UV treated, which means even exposed to strong sun rays, will not damage the product.
- Our stitching is unmatched. We make sure that each grow bags undergoes strict QA process before being sent to you.
Updates on impact of COVID-19 on Shipping:
Since we work with limited staff and because of the lockdowns, shipping times are impacted. Our dispatch time now is 48-72 hours.
Couriers and postal services have also become unreliable and slow during these times. We do our best to get your order delivered to you in a timely manner. In case your order is stuck anywhere, please let us know. We'll contact the courier company or India Post and get the package delivered.
All orders placed will be shipped within 24 hours (except on Sundays). Orders placed before 12pm will be shipped the same day.
Shipping is free for orders above Rs.999 and Rs.69 for orders below that.
Products will be shipped via DTDC, reputed couriers or India Post and will be delivered within 5-7 business days.
COD is available PAN India. Rs.50 extra COD charge will apply.
Customer ReviewsWrite a review
Economic and good quality seeds
Promptly attended and fast delivery made.
I think seeds are good . Though yet to know about production and yields of these corn plants .
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.