THIS PRODUCT IS PROUDLY MADE IN INDIA
Germination tested on December, 2021
Quick 24 Hour Dispatch
Free Shipping for all orders above ₹499. Delivery in 5 to 7 business days
Priority fast shipping options available
It is a dark green, ridged, and tapered vegetable that is very lovely. It is white and contains white seeds embedded in spongy flesh. A ridge gourd, also known as Turai or Turiya, is a common vegetable in India. It's tough skin is peeled off and sliced, and cooked according to preference. It is prepared by extracting the vegetable's skin and then cooking it. Ridge gourd is a popular ingredient in Indian cuisine. In Chinese cuisine, it is referred to as sponge gourd. Through its unappealing taste to many people, the ridge gourd has a plethora of health benefits. It contains vital nutrients such as dietary fibers, water, vitamin A, vitamin C, iron, magnesium, and vitamin B6. It has a naturally low-calorie content, saturated fat content, and cholesterol content.
Benefits/Uses of Ridge Gourd
- There is a high fiber content and a very low saturated fat content.
- Ridge gourd juice is used to treat jaundice.
- Additionally, it is rich in magnesium, iron, and manganese, which aid in the purification of the blood, improve the liver's work, and provide relief from intoxication.
- The leaves of the ridge gourd are used to treat diabetes and conjunctivitis. The juice extracted from the leaves of the ridge gourd plant is used as an ointment to treat various skin conditions.
Specifications of Ridge Gourd seeds
Ridge Gourd, Turai, Turiya, Sponge Gourd
Requires regular watering
60 and 75 degrees F
Natural to slightly acidic with 5.8-6.8 ph
7 - 14 days
60 to 75 days from transplants
No. of seeds
Planting and Care for Ridge Gourd
Sowing Ridge Gourd Seeds
- First choose a location to erect a creeper net to protect the plant and ensure that it receives full sun.
- Select a suitable grow pack. Separate the soil. Combine manure and this soil and replenish the trap.
- Sow two seeds per grow bag in the grow bags.
- With your palms, gently press the seeds into the soil medium and fully cover them with the surrounding soil.
- Immediately water the sown seedbed with a light shower from a watering can.
- Within the first 6-8 days, seeds will germinate, and tiny sprouts will appear.
- In the second week of germination, the first two leaves will appear. These are cotyledons or false leaves.
- At the end of the second week, the first leaves will appear above the cotyledons.
- From the second week on, seedlings will begin to develop into small plants.
- After the second week, hold only one seedling in each place. With a pair of scissors, remove any frail, thin, or lagging seedlings.
Growing Ridge Gourd
- Tendrils appear as the Ridge Gourds mature.
- The tendrils are used by the plants to support nearby plants or to ascend over other supports.
- Utilize creeper nets to guide these plants.
- Ridge gourds are carnivores. When your ridge gourds bloom, fertilize with a sufficient amount of VC or Compost Tea to aid plant productivity (CT).
- Ridge gourds contain both male and female flowers. Female flowers grow into ridge gourds, which sets them apart from male flowers.
Harvesting Ridge Gourd
- Avoid leaving ridge gourd fruits to mature for an extended period.
- Harvest the fruit only in its early stage; otherwise, the skin becomes thick, and the fruits become inseparable due to the high fiber content on the inside.
- Allow the ripe fruits to remain on the vine. When it has been scorched, it is possible to store the seeds.
- Harvesting is possible 80 to 90 days after sowing. The ridge gourd climber will bloom at the end of the third month. After three months of seed sowing, you can begin harvesting ripe Ridge gourd fruits. Harvesting will continue for the subsequent three months.
Precautions while growing Ridge Gourd
- Ridge Gourd plants need direct sunlight. As a result, your raised bed should be constructed in a bright, sunny place. Keep the jar for the Ridge Gourd in direct sunlight.
- Watering: During the summer, water your potted Ridge Gourd plant daily. Soak the soil around the plant in water. Utilize a watering can to ensure that the plants receive water through the shower and not a single flow. Additionally, you can provide irrigation for your raised beds by using a drip irrigation system.
- Ridge gourd is an aggressive climber that requires plenty of room to develop. Therefore, build a solid creeper net support for your Ridge gourd plant up to a height of 5-6 feet using locally available materials such as pipes, bamboo, ropes, and wires.
- As previously said, before seeding, amend the soil with good quality organic manure in a 2:1 ratio. Organic manure includes decomposed cow dung, farmyard manure, compost, and vermicompost.
- When the Ridge gourd climber reaches 45 days of age, apply one tablespoon of organic Azospirillum Nitrogen Fixing Biofertilizer per plant or incorporate a handful of vermicompost into the soil surrounding each plant.
- Plant care: Always be on the lookout for early symptoms of insect/fungal/other infections. Spray necessary medications immediately upon noticing the signs of such diseases. When plants are young, keep an eye out for Powdery Mildew.
Common Problems affecting Ridge Gourd Plants and Solutions
In general, gourds are attacked by insects. The most common insects are beetles, fruit flies, and caterpillars. It would be preferable if you focused on prevention rather than treatment. Powdery mildew and downy mildew are two of the most prevalent diseases. It is preferable to use biopesticides for their superior benefits. Combine an equal amount of onion, ginger, garlic, and chili in a paste and then dilute with water and spray. When spraying, secure the cloth around your eyes.
No. of Ridge Gourd Seeds - 12
All grow bags from Seed 2 Plant have a 5 years replacement guarantee. Yes, you heard that right. We are 100% sure about the quality of our grow bags that we offer no questions asked 5 years replacement guarantee.
If one of our grow bags got damaged under normal use within a 5 years period, you can contact us at email@example.com and ship the damaged grow bag. We'll replace the grow bag and the shipping cost will be refunded too.
How are we sure that our grow bags will last 5 years?
- Our grow bags are made of thick 220 gsm HDPE material.
- All our grow bags are UV treated, which means even exposed to strong sun rays, will not damage the product.
- Our stitching is unmatched. We make sure that each grow bags undergoes strict QA process before being sent to you.
All orders placed will be shipped within 24 hours (except on Sundays). Orders placed before 12pm will be shipped the same day.
Shipping is free for all orders above ₹999
Orders below ₹999 will incur a modest ₹69 shipping cost.
Products will be shipped via BlueDart, Delhivery or India Post and will be delivered within 5-7 business days.
COD is available PAN India for orders above ₹499 and only for selected non-perishable products. Extra COD charge will apply.
good germination, healthy seedlings
Good quality seeds, am happy
Ridge gourd seed is just germinated, it will take some time to give you the feedback
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.